Idli is a traditional South Indian dish. It is basically used for breakfast. Though it is very well renowned in South India as it originated from there, still it got so famous and it has such health benefits that now it has got famous in different parts of India. Idli is prepared by fermentation process and the batter which is fermented is of De-husked black lentils and rice. Idi is basically a light food which is served with sambar that is lentils and chutney.
Now we are going to discuss about the food value and Benefits of Idli
According to the nutrition value one Idli contains:
• Calories-65 calories
• Vitamin B
• Vitamin A
• Amino Acids
Also read: 7 Benefits of Almond Milk
Idli can be of two types: Steamed rice Idli and other will be of semolina or cream of wheat which is known as Rava idli. Adding yogurt to prepare Idli makes it more tasty and nutritious. Idli is never served alone. The sambar contains mustard seed, fenugreek seed, ginger, pepper, coriander and all seasonal vegetables which contain bottle gourd, potato, beans, tomato, carrots which makes the meal highly nutritious. The coconut chutney is wonderful to taste.
It has very low fat as it is fermented and steamed so all the starch of the food gets demolished. You may have Idli even for breakfast, meal and evening snacks. Idli is basically a complete meal.
Benefits of idli
• It is easy to digest and get flushed out easily.
• Idli is highly nutritious. You can make it more nutritious by adding vegetables to the sambar. And the coconut chutney is also delicious in same time highly nutritious.
• If you have steamed Idli with citrus juices then it will help to prevent carbohydrate of rice to deposit in the body.
• Idli is a light dish so it is not all difficult to digest.
• Fermented Idli is rich protein, vitamin and carbohydrates.
• Idli contains no saturated fat.
• Idli contains very low sodium so it is very healthy for heart.
• Idli has iron, calcium, folate, vitamin A and vitamin B.
• Rava idlis are good for diabetic patients as it is made of whole wheat.
Overall Idli is wonderful to taste as is highly nutritious. So Idli is ideal for a complete breakfast or meal. It provides all the necessary energy and nutrition a body requires.