Delhi is the capital of India. According to history Delhi had served as national capital of various kingdoms. It was central place of political, cultural and commercial activity. During the Mughal period also Delhi was the capital region. Delhi is the largest commercial centre in Northern India. It is highly populated.
Climate of Delhi
Delhi has sub tropical humid climate. It has extreme climate. During the summers it is scorching heat and in winters it is quiet chilling. The ideal time to visit Delhi will be October to March.
In Delhi you can find people of all religion and culture. It has become the largest centre of small scale industries.
Delhi is reachable by air, road and rail. For local transport metro railways, auto, rickshaw, bus and taxi are available.
Places to visit
Delhi has lot of wonders to provide to tourists. There are many places to visit. Being a historical place Delhi has lot of old stories to say. Being political capital there are lot of political houses to visit. Delhi still holds alive the stories of freedom fighters. So basically people who are planning to visit Delhi should have enough time in hand to cover all the places.
Among the historical places some very remarkable ones are mentioned below:
- Red Fort- Was built by Shahjahan during Mughal Period. It is has two kilometers stretched wall. It is built with red stones and marbles. Tourists can go for sound and light show which is available there to give knowledge of Mughal history.
- Qutub Minar-It is the oldest historical monument. It has beautiful Indo –Islamic architecture. Qutub Minar is the tallest brick minaret in Delhi near about of 73 meters.
- Humayun’s Tomb-This building resemble Taj Mahal. This monument houses the expired body of the second Mughal ruler Humayun. One must go for the awesome sight seeing present there. The marble work and the architectural design will keep eyes open.
- India Gate- It an all India war memorial. It is built in the memory of Indian Soldiers who lost their life fighting in World War I. It has peaceful ambience with green lawns all around. It looks very beautiful during evening when it is lighted up.
- Jama Masjid- Jama Masjid is the largest mosque in India built during Mughal Period. It has beautiful architectural work. It has a huge courtyard.
- Lotus temple- Lotus Temple predicts the unity of all religion and people. It depicts the symbol of peace. It is also known as Bahai temple. Marvelously beautiful during night when it is lighted up. The serene beauty of this temple attracts lot of tourists.
- Lodhi gardens-Lodhi Gardens was built by Britsh. It is very calm and serene place. One can recreate over there.
- Gandhi Smriti-The place where Gandhiji spend his last 144 days of his life. After his assassination on 30th January 1948 his memories are placed here. Gandhiji was the father of the nation and it was who for whom today we are enjoying freedom.
Tourist visit can never be complete without shopping. For shopping one need to visit Cannaught Place, Chandni Chawk, Dilli Hut, Janpath Market, Lajpat Nagar, Sarojini Nagar Market, Sunder Nagar market.
- Cannaught Place-The great hub for shopping. It contains the five star hotel, shopping malls, and exclusive stores for renowned brands, multiplex theaters, clubs and pubs
- Chandni Chawk- This busy place is always busy for famous street food. The place is always hustling with lot of people. It predicts the liveliness of Delhi people. One can find local market there for shopping.
- Delhi Hut- This market sells all kind of handicrafts from India. This market produces the unique features of handicrafts, culture of all states of India. Various foods from separate states are also available.
- Janpath Market-It is one of the local markets. But if people want to bargain and buy they can obviously do here. Tibetian handicrafts are especially available here.
- Sarojini Nagar-It is very famous for college goers as it sells fashionable clothes and junk jewelries at very low price.
As mentioned before Delhi has many places to visit. Some other places which one can visit while being in Delhi are:
- Akshardham Mandir
- Rashtrapati Bhavan
- Appu Ghar
- Nehru Planetorium
- Jantar Mantar
- National Zoological Park
- Iskon Temple
- Agrasen ki Baoli
- Gurudwara Bangla Saheb
- Raj Ghat
- Nizamuddin Dargha
- Dilwara Temples
- National Science Centre
- Moti Masjid
- Nehru memorial Museum
- Raj Ghat
- Laxminarayan Temple
- Feroz Shah Kotla
- Sacred heart Cathedral